Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hasta Luego

Finally catching a breath, I have decided to write my last blog. I'm bummed my previous blog from Spain didn't go through and things were lost, but... It makes me so happy to hear that many of you enjoyed them. It's been fun for me to record my daily/weekly excursions. Thank you so much for reading!
My adventures in Europa have officially come to an end :-( I flew in to LA on Saturday the 17th and was greeted by Dave’s smiling face and beautiful, warm weather at LAX! After over 24 hours of travel, little sleep and a lot of excitement, I was ready to be home.

The last week in San Sebastián was bitter sweet. After Kaitlin left early Wednesday and Chelsea on Thursday, I was anxious to pack up my things and leave. I meandered a lot those last few days (how odd) and enjoyed the good weather (a whole 2 days of it) while it lasted. As soon as the rain hit again... I grew anxious for California! On my last long walk home from school, I stopped to take a few pictures, attempting to capture my love/hate relationship with San Sebastian. In reality, I grew to love the city, which turned its annoying characteristics to my own, personal entertainment. For example, the group of 4 older women, huddled on the railing, staring at the people walking along the beach. They would be the same type of women who would stare at me walking down the street.
And also (in the next picture) the women are now perched on their benches, for their prime socializing and parade hours (between 6 and 9 in the evening). This is when the mink coat displays are at their fullest, gossiping is filling the air and looks could kill! haha





And then there are the "convenient" time and temperature displays, located at every major intersection- roughly 200 meters apart. Ironically, they NEVER display the same time nor the same temperature. Somehow, it can be 21 degrees Celsius on one corner and 18 degrees 5 blocks away. 12:05 at one and 12:14 at the other. Moral of the story, never trust the city clocks!
But I'll never forget the way the Cathedral of Buen Pastor would light up at night time! Or how satisfying Campero de pollos were on Saturday afternoons while sitting on the beach, or the million vibrant tulips all over town (that they would completely rip out and re-plant at least once a week). Or the little dogs EVERYWHERE with no leashes. Only in Europe would a man openly walk a fluffy Pomeranian with bows in its hair, while carrying his wife's purse!
I have finally collected pictures from my friends, making the albums more complete. Chelsea took some amazing pictures in Switzerland, including one of Sioux's house, the lake and the picnic table where we ate and chatted!
I have promised my Basque teacher to keep in touch and visit her again some day. My intercambio and I exchanged e-mail addresses, as well as the girls in the Basque dancing class. Kaitlin just came home a few days ago... she traveled through Italy and Greece after we finished classes and Chelsea is still traveling! At this moment I believe she is in southern Spain or about to begin her Mediterranean cruise! Que Suerte! As for me, I'm happy to be home! In case you're interested, my first meal of choice was an Aloha Pineapple smoothie from Jamba Juice. To my delight, they have granola now! Yumm!!!
As customary in the Basque region, no one says a final goodbye. Instead, it is always- see you later. And to that I will say to all of you... Hasta Luego!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was posting on my blogspot and I trotted over to yours to see if you finally made a last post, and I see that you did and I missed it when you first wrote it! It was bittersweet reading it, because I knew it was your last, and it was like saying good-bye to a country where we all lived vicariously through you! Hasta luego!