Spring Break begins in 2 days! I can't believe it's already here. I have a 16 day break :-) My Dad and Kim will be here on Saturday, we're going to enjoy S.S. for a few days, then Paris for a few and will spend their remaining time around here again. I will spend the remaining 7 days in Rome! One of my best friends from home, Margaret, is meeting me there on Easter Sunday! I can't believe my life right now, Paris and Rome in back to back weeks! I am SO excited to see my family and Margaret and to get out of S.S. for a while. When I return, I'll only have 6 weeks left of school... that's crazy to me!
Well, last weekend I went to Bilbao to visit my friends from Westmont. Two of my good friends here, Kelly and Kaitlin, went with me. It was a great weekend. We went to a Sedaria on Friday night with a big group of USAC students who are studying in Bilbao. We had the most AMAZING 4 course dinner and Cider. Saturday they took us to some beautiful beaches and then we walked around downtown Bilbao for a while. Sunday we walked around the Guggenheim museum then went to a Futbol game! Unfortunately we didn't have time to go in the museum but want to make a day trip another weekend for it. I believe the Futbol team in Bilbao is the second best in Spain (behind Real Madrid). The crowd was crazy and everyone was wearing red and white striped scarves and shirts like the team's jerseys. It looked like a really intense game of Where's Waldo! haha We had front row seats, right in the corner by the rowdy Basque crowd, it was awesome.
I had a mid-term on Monday, that was a piece of cake, but don't have much going on with school until after the break. The weeks are flying by so fast. I posted more pictures!
Oh, funny story for you. I wanted to bake something to take to the boys last weekend for letting us stay, and it was also Fabrice's birthday. Chelsea's teacher gave them recipes that she uses and loves. There was one for brownies that I decided to try. Well, they use grams instead of cups for their measurements here and we definitely didn't have any form of measuring instruments. So, after translating the Spanish recipe into English, I had to convert grams to cups (b/c I would have better luck using cups) and then eyeballed my way through the whole recipe. It was kind of funny. Oh and I should also add that their ovens have different temperatures than ours and the recipe gave the wrong temperature. Surprisingly, they came out really good. They tasted a bit more like fudge but were good anyway. I thought you'd enjoy laughing at me a little :-)
That's all I have for now. I can't wait for Spring Break!!!!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love your blog! You use such expressive vocabulary, I can see what you are talking about! BTW, I loved your "Where's Waldo" comment! Maybe you can make one of your pictures into a puzzle!
It sounds like you have a great two weeks in store! Paris and then Rome on Easter Sunday! Will you be at the Vatican? That would be awesome!
Have a great spring break, and I hope you held onto the recipe for brownies. They sound yummy!
God bless.
Okay, I have to ask... now, after 2 months, do you say "Barcelona" or "Barthelona"? :)
We will be arriving in Rome a little before 4pm and are hoping to make it to the Vatican that evening! We are going to return the next few days to do the tours and see the rest because I'm sure it is going to be extremely crowded.
They DEFINITELY say "Barthelona" along with Grathias (gracias), Platha (plaza) and my personal favorite... La Plaza de Gipuzcoa sounds like La Platha de Githpoothcoa. Everytime someone talks about that specific plaza it makes me laugh!
HA HA, but my question is: what do YOU say? I remember when we talked about it at Christmas time, as to whether or not it would be rude to use "th" because it is funny to us, or rude to not use it, because that is what they say! So, what have YOU decided to use? (Our funniest encounter was when a waitress asked, "ustedeth quieren loth doth aquath?" and I looked at her blankly until Stephen said, "Mom, the 'th' sound!")
I found myself imitating them and using the "th" sound, but I didn't know how they would view that...
Have a great time in Rome!
In my conversation class, our teacher prefers us to use the "th" sound. He will correct us if we "mispronounce" a word. Outside of the classroom, I typically leave out the "th" and pronounce it the way I learned. I dont really think about it either way, concentrating on vocabulary more, but a "grathius" jumps out every once in a while.
Also... Euskara (basque) is a very harsh, strong sounding language and because I'm learning it simultaneously, I think it has kept my Spanish sounding stronger, not so wispy with "th".
Post a Comment