Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Another hike

It's true... I am taking classes here. Contrary to popular belief, I do have SOME work. haha The majority being due this week. I just completed a 7 page research paper, in Spanish, writing about the influence of the Catholic Church in Spain during its "Golden Years".... after the discovery of America. It's a good thing I picked an interesting topic, that was not a fun assignment. And now I'm preparing a 7 minute Spanish presentation about an important person from the last century... I'm thinking about Pope John Paul II, but I'm not sure yet.

Last weekend we decided to take the advice of a tour guide book and take a bus to another small town 20 minutes away and hike from one town to the next, in the national park. As it turns out, they created these wonderful maps and guides BEFORE they created the trails. hahahha Typical Basques! Half way to our destination there were picnic tables and a playground, so we stopped for lunch. These older Basque guys happen to be walking by and stopped to talk to us. One of them was a tour guide and explained how the only way to get there was in a car. They laughed at us for a while and said it'll be open soon... within a few years. Yeah, THANKS! It ended up being a 7 mile scenic walk through the countryside but it was beautiful and still fun... just not as adventurous as we were hoping.
--> This is us at the end of the "trail". The little guy is "txiki" (cheeky).. the Basque tour guide's dog. lol
Kaitlin sent me a lot of her pictures from Paris, the excursion and random other ones. We usually trade off taking pictures when we go places so we don't overload the picture taker with cameras. I'm uploading the new pictures to the my web albums! There are some good ones :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! A 7 page paper in Spanish! That must have been quite the exercise! Did you write it in English and then translate it, or are you to the point where you can think in Spanish and you just wrote it directly in Spanish? Either way, good for you!

That doggy looked quite healthy. You would NEVER touch a dog in Baja California. They typically have mange, fleas, ticks, and many other ailments. From that picture it looks like they actually keep dogs as pets in Spain!

Any more European excursions planned?

Stephanie Strasner said...

I wrote the paper in Spanish directly. It's much easier for me to think in (and takes a lot less time) to formulate thoughts in Spanish. I've gotten use to thinking that way so often when I'm trying to talk to someone in English, I stumble on my words. It's kind of funny!

The dogs here are adorable and hardly anyone uses a leash. The dogs are so well behaved, they just follow right along. I want to pet all of them, but you can't. People don't really pet their dogs here, so it's weird for them if you do. I've heard it's kind of like walking up to a stranger and petting their baby. haha But Txiki was a cute little guy and we could pet him!

This weekend we are going to Bilbao (another Basque city about an hour away). 3 of my guy friends from Westmont are studying there through the same program, so a few of my friends and I are going to visit them for the weekend. We're going to a pro Futbol game on Saturday too!