I've had a lot of time on my hands these last few days and decided to sort of meander through town on my way home; stopping in a few shops (that say "Rebajas"-sale- of course) and eating a few, okay a lot of, croissants! I've figured out that they do in fact have wheat bread here. It's a rare commodity but anything that says "Cereal" has some sort of grain in it! I'm a lot more comfortable with the food now. I have a better idea what to order and what to stay away from. I will say though, the chocolate is amazing here! For the most part I cook at home but I like to eat out every now and then to live their culture a little more. It's really funny... when someone finds a new restaurant or type of food that is good, it spreads like wildfire among the USAC students. The recent addiction is the kabobs at the Turkish restaurants (okay, it's not Spanish or Basque, but it's variety!) They aren't the type of kabobs you're probably thinking of that come on a stick. It's shaved meat (just like they serve adobado in Mexico) made into a little sandwich w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, on grilled pita bread, with some sort of ranch/mayo/sometimes spicy sauce (we don't ask questions).
Anyway, I thought I'd tell you about the people and town a little more....
Between the hours of 2-4 in the afternoon most everything is closed. Usually only the bars, cafes, and grocery stores are open but most of the privately owned shops (which is about 80%) are closed for "siesta". It's kind of a myth that people go home and take naps, it's more like an extended lunch break. We were conversing about the differences in our culture in my Spanish Culture and Civilization class and our Professor was telling us that here, there is a time to buy, a time to eat, a time to socialize, a time for family etc. During the time to eat ("siesta") or time with your family, you don't buy. It makes a lot of sense and I like that idea, it's just a little hard getting use to when everything in America is open practically 24-7. Also, my lunch time is usually around noon, I'm still attempting to make that adjustment.
Europe, in general, dresses a lot more formal than the United States but in San Sebastian, it is even more obvious. Women wearing mink coats at any time of day is not a rare occurrence. I probably see 5 a day (Today I saw a dark purple fur coat haha). The city use to be a top vacation destination for Europe's high upper class not too long ago. It's still a luxurious area, but apparently has toned down a little. You can spot an American from a mile away... we're the ones wearing jeans! Most women wear dresses or skirts and heals everywhere! I love to dress up, but walking 45 minutes across town in heals, a big coat, and a knee brace is not very appealing to me haha. People definitely stare at me when I'm by myself, with my friends, and especially when we're in big groups. I try hard not to be the "obnoxious American". Our professor explained this to us too. He said that part of it is the fact that Europe is much more formal, but again, San Sebastian has quite a few rich, snobby people. It doesn't really bother me though. They ride the public transportation just like I do!
I think my favorite class is my Basque Culture and Language. It is really interesting! Our professor is this adorable, young Basque girl who speaks 4 languages. I'm starting to feel in the loop, knowing more about how the Spanish and Basque cultures have influenced and are continuing to influence one another. For example, Spanish is the primary language in San Sebastian and 40% of the population also speak Basque. However, everyone says "Agur", the Basque word for goodbye (it can also mean "hello, but I can't really stop and talk to you"). Hardly anyone says Adios. Please, thank you, excuse me, and common terms like these are usually in Basque as well. Also, if you know the Basque language you are considered culturally Basque. You could be from Japan but know Basque and be considered Basque. There are other terms for those that have Basque heritage but do not speak the language. It's a little complicated, but very interesting! The Basque communities in the US consider the heritage to be of primary importance, but here it's the language!
Something else I find really interesting... a lot of Spanish speakers use the word 'super' to emphasize something... super important, super small, etc. I didn't think that was a Spanish word! but it's really cute when native speakers say it with their accent.
My first time working out in a gym this morning was an experience in itself. I think everyone was a little confused by me...
1) There was a girl using the weight machines
2) I'm American
3) An American girl was using the weight machines :-)
I just kept my headphones on, did my thing, and got out of there!
On my walk home, I found an Evangelical Church that is seriously 15 seconds from my apartment! They have Thursday night women's classes and a service on Sunday. I have class Thursday night but definitely want to check out the service next week. It is really small and I'm sure I'll stand out like a sore thumb, but that tends to be the story of my life lately :-)
Well, that's my analysis for now. It's Tuesday at about 6 in the afternoon (that's afternoon here) and i'm waiting for my roomie to get home. We're making make-shift tacos tonight. They don't sell the same ingredients here so we're gonna make it work. I never thought I'd love hot sauce so much in my life! I'm quite experimental with my cooking lately. If it's good we say "hmm.. it tastes like America". haha
I'm so happy to hear that many of you enjoy my posts! When something new happens I get all excited to write about it.
I just realized how long this post is... happy reading!
Agur!
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Stephanie! Love your descriptions! It was always my understanding when I was in Mexico that you only say "Adios" to someone you never plan to see again. It is almost like "until God". Which makes total sense if you dissect it. So, if you pass a stranger in the street, you say "adios". (Whereas, we silly Americans say "hello".) And you would virtually never say "Adios" to a friend or family member. That's probably why no one ever says "Adios" to you, they plan to see you again!
Have a great time in Paris! I've heard it is miserable in the summer when it is crowded, but this should be a great time to go.
Keep safe!
Post a Comment