Saturday, January 12, 2008

Mis adventuras en Madrid

Well, my lost bag arrived last night after dinner. I have never been so excited to see luggage in my life. Yesterday we went to Museum el Prado and saw famous paintings of almost every royal family in Spain´s history, toured the Royal Palace (that no one lives in anymore but they still use for special banquets). It was beautiful!

A friend from home, that I went to high school with, has been living in Madrid since August teaching English and I was able to meet up with him last night for a little while. It was great to see a friendly face. He showed me around the city and told me about a lot of local places.

Today we went to the old city of Toledo (about 1 hr from Madrid). It was the capital at one time and has a palace there as well and the entire city is build around it. Around the city are giant walls that protected from invasion centuries ago. The city has changed very little in the last few centuries. It felt like we went back in time.... stone buildings, cobblestone walkways, stained glass windows, everything. It looked just like Shakespeare in Love or one of those movies. haha

I have been able to speak a lot of Spanish and I think I´ve done pretty well. No one has laughed at me yet! A lot of the students have never taken Spanish (which really surprised me) so they think my broken spanish is a lifesaver. haha

I received my housing assignment for the semester. I will be sharing a room with another USAC student and we will share the apartment with a 19 year old girl from San Sebastian. I guess it´s the best of both worlds, living with a local, and my own apartment.

The food has been interesting. We all joke around because every time we sit down to eat we are not really sure what to expect. Even if we ordered our own food, you never know what it is. Nothing has been too appetizing which has been very disappointing. Also, Spaniards do not drink a lot of water so it´s difficult, and often expensive to get a water bottle larger than two drinks worth.

Other than the food not being very good, I LOVE the city. The buildings are beautiful and the people are pretty friendly.

sorry my posts are very random but there is a clock timer that makes me nervous on these computers. There isn´t wireless around here so I am unable to use my laptop in Madrid.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that you made it there and everything is working out okay. That's a bummer though that you can't really find internet or use your laptop! I hope everything works out because there are lots of people back in the boring United States that want to know how you are doing and the exciting things you are seeing. I really enjoyed reading the updates that you left. I hope you have a good week and that the girls in your place are nice! Miss ya girl!