The day has arrived when we were able to move into our apartments! Every day is one giant adventure. We never know exactly what we ordered, ate, where we´re going, what we´re doing... and the list goes on. Housing has none the less been the same way. After a confusing taxi cab ride across town, my new roommate Chelsea and I arrived at our apartment building. What´s nice is that there are two sets of doors that require keys to enter (extra safe, :-) Dad) However, we are not in the nicest area, but the entire town is much safer than a large city like Madrid. Well the apartment is basically one long, L shaped hallway with a bunch of doors; a door to the bathroom, kitchen, living room, and the two bedrooms. Our third housemate is a student in San Sebastian and speaks Spanish and Basque, no English. Chelsea and I were able to have a great conversation with her today and she seems really nice.
Our bedroom is tiny, but it has two closets :-) I almost have to climb over her bed to get to mine. We went grocery shopping for the first time as well. Our other roommate came along and showed us how they bag the fruits and veggies.... you have to weigh them and print a ticket for the price yourself, kind of interesting. We have beautiful salmon colored blankets on our beds (insert sarcasm here!) After hearing from other students I think our apartments are relatively similar, some in better locations than others. Overall it will be fine to live in. Spaniards don´t spend much time at home, they live in the streets being social and lively... I can get use to that! Like I said before, everything is an adventure. We laugh at everything along the way and are starting to realize how much easier things are in America!
One major positive of the day. We were able to make our own dinner! I had a great salad with fresh veggies for the first time in a week. They do not sell salad dressing here like they do in the states so we created our own... Honey Dijon mustard, olive oil, and balsamic. I can´t take the credit though, it was my roommate´s idea.
We have one more day of orientation and will start clases on Wednesday! Adios!
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Steph-
Your Dad & I are glad to hear you are settled! The highlight of our evenings have been reading about your adventures.....keep them coming.
P.S. Hopefully this doesn't post twice as this is the second attempt. Having a new adventure myself learning all this stuff - haha!
Post a Comment